Thursday 10 May 2012

Transformality


I am still very much sunken in the depths of my sustainability research. There are so many aspects I could address! One thing I was thinking about, was how to incorporate the thinking into the design process, and actual act of wearing it. I came to the idea of transformation (refer to brainstorm in first image). The idea of having several designs in one, making the garments have multiple 'looks' to give the appearance of a totally different outfit! This idea for me tackled the reluctantency of 'fashion' people having to reduce their wardrobe in order to become sustainable. I am still very much in the design development process of this idea, thinking about all the different variables that come with this concept. The how. How will it transform? What will it transform in to? The fastenings, the fabric (which will need to be very durable and not need much washing), the shape and silhouette and the outfit itself.
 
Transformable jacket - the sleeves are attached with zips, which allows them to be detached when it is warmer and added to the back (where there are other zips that serve as a design feature when not in use), creating a vest. I started with the kind of interlocking opening, but in reflection I think I would leave this out of the design.

Transformable jacket 2 - This jacket has triangular pocket sections which unzip to unfold another triangular shape. I was thinking about how the different triangles could unfold to reveal different prints or colours, allowing the wearer to have either a conservative jacket or something more flamboyant.

These two dresses, transform from day dresses to evening dresses. The first uses the step form and unzips at the top to mirror the design. The second, possibly more attractive for my market, has a small section which unzips to mirror the step shape formation, again maybe utilising this reveal conceal idea with different colours/zips.

Day dress to evening dress. First dress has proud shoulder features (which are actually rolled up sleeves) which can be unraveled, when it get colder. The sort of 'belt' around the middle can be unrolled to reveal a translucent over skirt, with a print on it. Maybe this is getting a bit to complicated. Need to edit and simplify design concept.


This jacket came from the above design development, where I was thinking about interchangable pieces. In this jacket, you would by the four main pieces as a sort of starter kit, maybe all in one colour or in the consumers colour combo choice. Additional pieces could then be bought to add to this jacket, to be interchanged. I quite like this kitset idea, giving consumers a hand in the design process. I think this could be quite attractive for the consumer and middle-market, where the customer is wanting something unique and different, but at an affordable price.








No comments:

Post a Comment