Saturday 26 May 2012

Fabric experimentation

On polyester chiffon
the stencil
 I know that I want to have this triangle print in my collection, which would be digitally printed sustainably, by somone such as SPG prints, in the Netherlands. I decided to make a stencil to imitate the print. I actually really like the outcome, although it is more varied and has a slightly blurred line, the aesthetic is quite nice.
Stamp of the stencil on poly-cotton - I really like this outcome, it creates a more abstract variation of my print


on wool - it didnt really work..
Sustainable fabrics from Global Fabrics - peach organic merino. $35 - 150cm wide
grey organic merino. $35 - 147cm wide
blue and pink organic stretch knit cotton. $15m - 170cm wide
brown stretch organic cotton. $18m - 140cm wide.
dark brown organic cotton. $20 - 145cm wide.

The kind of fabrics I would hope to source sustainably - Heavy grey felted wool, Blue merino, Blue Japanese cotton, Orange double cloth merino, Orange cotton, Pink silk chiffon, Grey silk chiffon, Grey merino.
 I want to be able to incorporate the use of sustainable fabrics in my collection, unfortunately as seen above, the range in New Zealand is quite limited. For my merinos however I would use Designer textiles, a New Zealand company who supply's sustainable merino knit. I want to be able to us an organic cotton for my t-shirts, which would be sourced from Pickering International, an import and wholesale company specializing in textiles made from sustainable and organic fibers based in San Francisco.
 For the woolen garments I want to use a chunky ply, I would use something like Rowan yarns, to produce these items (the big woolen cardigan and the capelette)


No comments:

Post a Comment